Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Monday, September 26, 2005

The cat comes walking

Deidre and I went for a walk / jog tonight, which is almost common for us. We've been going for walks now for a while, and only the other night we upgraded it to do a bit of jogging as well. Both of us are relatively unfit, so it'll be good for us.

Tonight, I suggested that we jog uphill and walk downhill, to help ease us into it. We started jogging and got to the top of the street we're on and slowed to a walk. It was then we discovered we had some company.

Eve, my cat, decided she wanted to come with us! There she was, 'jogging' after us up the hill! It was pretty funny, but we didn't expect her to continue for too long, so we kept on going, walking along the road. She kept up with us!

We walked for about 10 minutes, with her tagging along, before we decided that we should turn around and go back, because we were in territory she'd never been in before. We got about halfway back, with me carrying her 'cause she was tired, before I set her down. She stayed where she was while we carried on, and so we decided to go down another road, thinking she was staying where she was.

Nope... her plaintive cries of 'Where are you?! I don't want to be alone! Come back...!' echoed through the air, so we went back, picked her up, and carried her back home.

Poor little fella, she's all tuckered out now, resting on her couch again.

She's adorable. :-D


Categories:

Posted on 9/26/2005 07:35:00 PM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, saw you on WBA.

Your post of very insightful. I feel the same way when it comes to writing. Gotta get 'em words down.

I'm also a kiwi, residing in Japan at the moment. Will move to wellington around March/April next year. I've traveled all across NZ, but each time somehow missed Wellington. Not sure why. I remember bypassing it on the way to the ferry. Hmm.

Anyway, just wanted to say HI. I only know of one other Kiwi writer and he lives in my old stomping ground of CHCH.

Good luck on the writing. I had nothing published in NZ, but once I changed my spelling to US style and subbed to USA, things started to happen. Including a book coming out next Jan.
Take care bro.

PS: I second your spew on Apple. LOL.

9/27/2005 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Hi Lee, thanks for dropping by. I find it hard to understand how you could have bypassed Wellington on the way to the ferry, when the ferry terminal is in the centre of Wellington! *grin*

At the moment I have no interest in publishing, but probably will in the future. My interest for now is in learning from others and developing my own writing skills. My blogs are my attempts to do that. 'My Future, Today' is a developing sci-fi story that I'm working on, and it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

I hope you find something to draw you back here regularly. Cheers!

9/27/2005 07:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Al taking up excercise...now I've heard it all.

9/27/2005 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Cresswell said...

"... we decided to go down another road, thinking she was staying where she was."

Now that's cruel, heading off into the dark and leaving her there alone. She was dead right to be plaintive. :-)

9/27/2005 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

If she's sitting there, not moving, and not complaining as you walk off into the darkness, and you're close to home, you're going to assume she'll be fine. There's no point staying there just because she's not moving. She's old enough to make up her own mind about where she wants to go and when.

It was only when she started being plaintive and forlorn that we returned to her. We would have been cruel if we ignored her. :-)

9/27/2005 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Cresswell said...

You know I'm joshing you, don't you?

I remember a few Xmases ago canoeing across Mangahawai Estuary, only to find my friend's Labrador vigorously, and by now very tiredly, paddling along just behind us and trying to keep up, and still with a couple of hundred metres to go. That one was a little harder to resolve. :-/

Our own cat has a penchant for spoiling walks by insisting on following, but as the road at the end of our street is a little busy, and her road-sense is non-existent, this often means recurring trips inside to lock her in, running back outside to find she's found a way out again, and eventually taking the car and leaving by the driveway-side to mew plaintively out of earshot. :-)

9/27/2005 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Yes, I knew you were joshing, but I like to explain these things anyway, just in case there are other readers who aren't sure. Wouldn't want someone calling the SPCA or something, thinking I'm actually cruel to the cat... (It's frustrating how many idiots there are out there.)

We decided that in future, when we want to go for a walk/run, we won't let her outside. But we're also planning on going for special 'cat walks', to get her used to coming along, and to get her knowing the neighbourhood a bit. She was so excited about her little adventure, it was great. :-D

9/27/2005 08:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cats are so adorable. Thank you for sharing this lovely tale, it made me smile.

9/27/2005 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

My pleasure Karen. It's just part of what my blog's all about, so I hope you come back. Here's another entry (+ photo) of the cat. Enjoy. :-)

9/27/2005 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006