Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Sunday, November 27, 2005

27 November - Castlepoint, NZ

I went with Deidre and Rani, a friend of ours, to a place called Castlepoint, which is about a 2 hour drive northeast of Wellington. Today was a great day for photos...

We went to Martinborough first. This was a view over the valley...

Then we had brunch in a cafe, and I had to take this photo of an old piano that was there...

This is the Martinborough Hotel...

After leaving Martinborough we headed to Castlepoint. I saw a winery along the way and got this photo...
Finally, we arrived at Castlepoint! There was a surf up...

The lighthouse is the attraction at Castlepoint. Take notice of the top of the cliff to the left of the lighthouse, as there's a few photos further below taken from that point...

A view of the small harbour from the path heading up to the lighthouse...

Here's the lighthouse, and with Deidre included, just to prove it was me taking the photos ;-)





Some random person, standing on the beach, watching the waves come in...




I met a man in Martinborough today who was selling photos at an indoor fair. I could see that he was good, but I also considered that some of my own photos were as good. I got to talking to him, and found that he had his own business which he does part time, selling his photos.

I'm going to start selling my own. If you want to buy poster sized prints of any of the above, let me know. I'll start work on a website presenting them for sale.

Posted on 11/27/2005 08:45:00 PM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do take great photos. This batch is no exception and you've shown New Zealand to be a beautiful, peaceful place.

It makes me want to get outdoors more. :)

11/27/2005 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Thanks Karen. Yes, NZ is definitely a very beautiful place.

I took 153 photos to get this 'best of'. I think that a 10% ratio of excellent-to-average photos is average for me. The more photos I take, the greater the chance I'll get some excellent shots. That's the advantage of a digital camera.

Rani was asking me yesterday how many I delete. "Nothing. I delete nothing. I've still got every single photo I've ever taken.

Just since the beginning of 2003, when I got my first digital camera, I've taken 5,300 photos.

11/28/2005 07:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5,300 photos? *hangs head in shame* I don't take many. When I look back, there are so many special occasions I have no record off now. It's too late, I can't go back and rectify that. *sigh*

I'll just have to do better in the future.

11/28/2005 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Yeh, ever since I got a digital camera back then, I've often carried it around with me as if it's another limb, but a limb that's more important than a leg. :-)

There's never a better time to start 'getting serious' about photography than right now. That's if you want to, of course.

11/28/2005 09:38:00 PM  
Blogger NightFallTech said...

Excellent pictures Alan!, I've probably taken about 7-8000 thousand since i first got a digital camera back in around 2001 but my wheat to chaff ratio is a little lower!

Was castlepoint as blustery as usual? (Every time i've been there i've been sandblasted!)

11/29/2005 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Hi Nightfall. Castlepoint was VERY blustery! I was eating sand when I was struggling across the beach to get those shots of the rocks with waves crashing over them and between them and the random person looking out at them. It was great though, a very enjoyable experience. I took more photos of that location than I normally do... there was just so much to take photos of!

11/29/2005 09:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006