Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Sunday, April 16, 2006

I'm engaged now!

I'm writing this from a hotel room where Deidre and I are staying for the night. It's a special night. This is how special...

About a month ago or more, we started searching for an engagement ring. About 3-4 weeks ago we found a ring that she liked, which was one I actually picked out for her to try on. It was a gold ring though, and she preferred it to be in white gold. So we asked for a quote, and I gave my name and number for them to call.

A few days later, they called and told me the price. It was more than what the gold ring was, but still 'within budget', so to speak. I got them to go ahead with the order. I told Deidre, however, that it was too expensive and we need to continue looking. She was very disappointed, as you would expect, but we continued looking for a ring.

When I got them to go ahead with the order, I also called Deidre's father, and asked him if he minded me asking his daughter to marry me. He didn't mind at all, and was 'tickled pink' that I'd done the traditional thing and asked him.

I got the ring almost two weeks ago, but Deidre and I continued to 'look for a ring'. Tonight, however, was the night. I had booked the hotel room 3 weeks ago, around the same time that I confirmed the go ahead on the ring, along with dinner and breakfast.

Deidre thought we were just doing dinner, but that was just the beginning. Earlier today I checked in to the room and set it up a little, putting the ring onto a dark cushion on the bed, so it would be seen when we entered the room. After dinner, which was nice and romantic, I took Deidre to the room, which was also a surprise to her.

In the room, I waited for her to see the ring, but she didn't, so I got impatient and picked it up, held her close, looked into her eyes, and asked her to marry me, while holding the ring for her to see.

"Oh my God!" was repeated a few times, before she finally said "Yes!"

Needless to say, we're both very happy!

So now I better get back to her... she's watching tv while I'm doing this post. Not very good form to keep her waiting too long now, is it?

Posted on 4/16/2006 12:36:00 AM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Fantastic ! Congrats mate :)

4/16/2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Chancelucky said...

Conbgratulations. I've always thought that Deidre came off as the "hero" of your blog, so I suspect you've chosen one another well. Best of luck.

4/16/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Sounds like you made the evening special and memorable for her. Well done. :)

4/16/2006 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger   said...

Congratulations, mate! And to do so with nearly a full moon in the sky—you ol’ romantic!

4/16/2006 09:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations kittens!

4/17/2006 04:45:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Thank you all for your great comments, most appreciated. Chance, Deidre likes the idea of being the 'hero'. *grin*

4/17/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

Thanks Dianne, and congratulations to you too!

6/24/2006 01:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006