Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Bird Flu pandemic preparations

At work I've been made responsible for preparing the service desk's Bird Flu pandemic plan.  This is quite amusing to me because I consider the whole Bird Flu to be a hoax, but it's also quite interesting to me because if the Bird Flu does happen, I'm the one responsible for the plan that my work will be using to continue providing service to customers, as well as ensuring the safety of the employees.

There's quite a lot involved, as you'd imagine.  The enforcment of 'social distancing' for a start, where no one is allowed to stand closer than a metre from each other, no touching of anyone else, and no gatherings of groups of people.  The staff kitchen will be closed, and enforcement of hygiene will become an issue.  There'll be signs and people ensuring that hands are washed in the toilet, medical checks, all kinds of things.  Core personnel will work at home with resources provided to them to continue working, while those that aren't core staff will be required to still come to work unless sick or dead.  :-)

I'm quite excited by it, to be honest with you.  It's a very interesting project to be given and to work on, and I'm hoping I'll be, in some way, responsible for managing it if it ever becomes needed.

A rumour: I might be going to Sydney for work in the next month or so.  No details yet as to why, or when, or for how long, as I don't know.  But more information will be coming, as I get it.

Posted on 7/18/2006 03:11:00 PM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose that also means no internal emails...thus reducing the chance of spreading a virus.

Old joke but I couldn't resist.

Bird Flu - a hoax!

Whatever happened to SARS?

The one thing I would definately recommend is don't take any vaccine.

BTW- I hear Hep C has been "upgraded" .

The next thing likely to hit the news will be about contaminated Russian herring fillets.

Anyway, Alan, have fun protecting the office staff.

7/18/2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

I have no intentions of taking any vaccines, Greg. I'm not giving myself the flu to have my body invaded with flu germs, which will sit there and strike again later on. It's funny, but for my entire life, from when I left school and haven't taken ANY flu shots, I've been free of all those illnesses that people have told me I'd get if I didn't get the shots...

I don't trust the idea of giving me an illness to not get the illness... just doesn't make any sense to me.

7/21/2006 09:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006