Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Saturday, July 01, 2006

A funny thing is happening...

Which is, I'm sure, related to the Law of Attraction. Deidre and I are visualising and emotionalising greater prosperity in our lives, bringing more money into it, etc. We want better things for ourselves and our lifestyle, and our future.

The funny thing that's happening - just this past week - is that we're getting occasional unexpected savings on our spending.

I took the car for a car wash a couple nights ago. I went to the service station only for a car wash. As I was about to walk in the door, one of the attendants approached and handed me a voucher - for half price car washes. He was handing them out to everyone walking through the door. No one else, while I was there, accepted it. I paid half price, and left for the car wash. When I finished the car wash, I looked back at the attendant, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Yesterday I took the car for a major service. It was going to cost $1400 - just for a service, including labour and parts. But it was a service that I hadn't gotten for maybe three years, as I wasn't able to justify spending that much money. Having a BMW is expensive... First, I had the money to spend on the service, so I got it done. Secondly, at the end of the day it turned out to be only $800. They decided not to do the transmission service because it required the replacement of a leaky gasket and that would take longer than the time they had available. The extra transmission work was something I knew about, and was going to comprise $400 of the $1400. Somehow, I ended up not paying that and getting another $200 taken off the total. I wasn't going to question it!

The transmission needs to be done, I know that. But there's no urgency. It can wait. Instead, the $600 I saved on the service will be spent to pay off one of my debts, thus getting rid of it..

Today Deidre and I went out for brunch. We have an 'entertainment card' that gets you discounts on establishments that are part of the program. We went to a cafe, placed our order, and got one meal free with the entertainment card. As we expected. What we didn't expect, however, was that my meal - pancakes with bacon, banana and maple syrup - would have uncooked pancakes. I ate the bacon and banana, leaving the gluggy pancakes, and then returned it to them, saying the pancakes were uncooked. My intention was just to let them know of less-than-adequate service, but they gave me a refund of the price of the meal. So in the end, we got two breakfasts - even though I only ate half of mine - and two orange juices for the price of only two orange juices.

Small incident, obviously, but I think the law of attraction - attracting greater prosperity - is beginning to work in our favour. This week alone has resulted in the 'obtaining' of many hundreds of dollars, that we've put to good use to make our financial situation that much better, and bringing us closer to having our own house soon.

Posted on 7/01/2006 02:30:00 PM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

2 Comments:

Blogger gobadine said...

If you want to bring more money into your life, dont spend it first.

Saving money on something that will only depreciate is not saving money or bringing you new wealth.

If something is on sale, it's for a reason. It's an old model that's about to be updated by the makers, thus the sale item you buy will become out of date and depreciate even more quickly.

The purpose of sales and bargins is to move stock, fuel the economy and play the capitalist game of "I want more, I want more, while business say's you need more, you need this, your life is crap without it"

I know your not a stupid American, as I have read your other posts, which show you are articulate and intelligent, but is the pursuit of wealth and goods necessary?
What do you need to live?

Happiness?
Love?
Possessions?
More money?

Your a clever person, work it out. Don't let corporate America blind you with their version of the American Dream. When the original one was so much better.

Freedom, Truth, Justice.

In a land where all men are equal, why are some more equal than others?

7/17/2006 02:36:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

thanks for your comments gobadine. By the way... you know I'm an Aussie living in New Zealand, right? Not an American. :-)

7/17/2006 06:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006