Welcome to the philosophical and spiritual musings of...
Blogging Dating Politics Relationships Personal Development Spirituality
 

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Holiday - Day 8

It's been quite busy over the past few days, and I haven't had the chance to upload the best of the photos each day. It's now almost midnight though, and I've fought the tiredness I'm feeling so that I can choose the best photos of the 176 I've taken over the past 2-3 days and upload them here for you. :-)

This photo is when we were leaving Adelaide, and I got a fantastic shot of Glenelg and the Glenelg Beach.


We left Adelaide and flew to Sydney, where we jumped into another hire car - which, happily, is the exact same kind of car we had in Adelaide - and drove to Canberra. It's funny, but we've been saying we're doing 3 cities in 4 weeks, but in we actually did 3 cities in one day, flying from Adelaide to Sydney, and then driving from Sydney to Canberra.

Coming into Canberra I stopped at an area called Lake George, which doesn't actually have a lake there any more (not that you can see, anyway!).


After catching up with James, who introduced us to the bedroom we would be staying in, we freshened up to go out for dinner. As we drove into Canberra city, there was a gorgeous sunset that I just had to get a shot of.


After dinner we went for a walk through Civic Square, a nice area of central Canberra city, and this was a fountain that was there.


Today we did some shopping, and then had a bit of lunch. Deidre got quite a bit excited about having a donut, which she hadn't had since the last time she was in Australia a few years ago. Apparently they don't do donuts in NZ the same way they do in Australia...


After lunch we went for a drive into the countryside, where we saw lots of kangaroos. The story behind the photo below is quite funny. We were driving along and saw a kangaroo on the side of the hill in front of us. I pulled over and jumped out with the camera, and we walked back to the part of the road below the kangaroo. On the way I told Deidre to keep a bit quiet, as we didn't want to scare it away. However, it was all crouched down below the grass line as it was busy eating grass. I made some noise with my feet on the gravel, and then I kicked the railing by the side of the road, but it didn't look up. "Hey!" I yelled out, and it popped its head up as if to say, "Yes? Can I help you?"


We went to the Tidbinbilla Deep Space Tracking Station, which is one of 3 locations around the world that helps track deep space probes, etc etc. Fascinating stuff.


After there we went to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, where we saw a few more kangaroos. I took this great photo of a section of the valley leading up to the ranges that surround Canberra.


That's all for today.

We went to dinner with my friend Peter C, and had a great time catching up with him. It's midnight now, and I'm off to bed. See you next time!

Posted on 12/17/2005 11:41:00 PM


If you have found value in what Alan (the author) has given you, please leave a donation for him so you can enjoy the spirit of giving too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'll ever get to visit Australia or New Zealand. So I appreciate you taking the time to share your pictures and write about your trip. It sounds like you're having a blast. :)

12/19/2005 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

No problem Deborah. I'm glad you're enjoying them. :-)

12/20/2005 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Howard said...

There is just so much in Australia that's beautiful, I'm only showing a very tiny glimpse of the beauty that's here. As time goes by, as the years go by, even the decades, I'll be building up a portfolio of wonderful photos.

12/20/2005 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment


(C) Alan Howard 1998 - 2006